Wheezy install with dark screen after boot

List,

I just installed Wheezy on my G4 450MHz DP with stock Radeon 128 Rage 16M video card. The install was beautiful. Wow such an improvement over past installs.

When I get to what should be my log in screen, the screen turns black and I can not get a terminal or beeps from hitting enter too many times. I tried to boot using a Samsung 22” monitor instead of the Apple Cinema screen and I get 1/2 screen of solid white and can see the computer has actually locked up.

Advice as to what I should do? Like, how does one drop to a shell so I might access the xorg.config file?

Thank you

Kristen