ofpath command giving different results for same device between wheezy and jessie

It appears that the powerpc64 (Mac G5) kernel change (or something else?) between Wheezy and Jessie is causing the ofpath command to give different results for the same device…

e.g.  On Wheezy:
    "of path /dev/sda" results in
     "/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@1/@0"
but on Jessie:
     "/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/@ffffffffffffffff/@0"

What changed?  The /usr/sbin/ofpath files are identical, bit-for-bit, so it almost has to be in the kernel, doesn't it?

Interestingly enough, there is no difference if this test is performed with a powerpc (i.e. 32-bit, "Mac G4") kernel.

Anybody got a clue?

Thanks!

Rick

PS: This is preventing me from installing Jessie on my PowerMac G5 "macpro" machine.  Very frustrating!