Re: Is there a way to ssh into the debian installation process?

Le Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 08:57:05PM -0800, Rick Thomas a écrit :

> Do I have to build my own CD?  Or is there some way I can use a standard
> netinst CD, put a magic parameter on the boot command line and maybe
> something (what?) on a handy USB stick, and have it all fall into place?
>
> This seems to involve heavy use of pre-seeding.  I don't have any experience
> with pre-seeding, but maybe this is the time to learn.  Can you point me to
> an explanation of what I need to know?

Hi Rick,

with a proper preseed file, you can start the network console with a netinst
CD, or even a more minimal netboot image.

In theory, this needs only the three lines of preseed indicated on the Debian
wiki (<https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/NetworkConsole>).

In practice, if the installer has a question to ask before reaching that step, it
will wait indefinitely for the answer.  The Installer's guide has explanations
on how to change the Debconf prioriy, pass start parameters and preseed a couple
of early questions in order to avoid this.

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apbs02.html.en

You might need a bit of trial and error.  If you think that something can be
clarified in the documentation, I guess that patches will be welcome.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan