Re: Bits from the release team (freeze time line)

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 06:08:03PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:

> With a recent upload, the default gcc version on s390x changed to gcc
> 4.8. However, on powerpc, ia64 and sparc, the default gcc version is
> still gcc 4.6. As this version will not be supported in Jessie, we are
> now giving an official warning to powerpc. For sparc and ia64, we
> already gave an official warning.  [SPRINTBITS]

Quoting from IRC:

12:54 < aurel32> infinity: looks like you are listed as a powerpc porter
12:55 < aurel32> infinity: i think it's about time to take a decision about
                 gcc 4.8 becoming the  default
12:55 < aurel32> otherwise powerpc will be added to fucked arches, and will
                 die a few months after
16:33 < infinity> aurel32: Yeah, we should JFDI.  Frankly, I think we should
                  have a conversation in  Debian about the "ports get to pick
                  their default GCC version" thing being an  outdated concept.
16:34 < infinity> aurel32: If the release criteria are "well supported
                  upstream" or "enough porters  in Debian to make up for it",
                  I'd contend that "keeping up to date with the  current
                  compiler" fits in with that, just like it does for the
                  current glibc.
16:35 < infinity> aurel32: Anyhow, Ubuntu's been using gcc-4.8 on ppc for
                  ages with no particularly  ill effects.

So, I'm not quite sure what authority I speak with here, but +1 from me for
moving PPC to gcc-4.8 and, in fact, another +1 from me to just keep it lock
step with whatever x86 is set to.  We've done this in Ubuntu for years, with
only very minimal pain when some small bug slips in (but no worse than the
x86-specific bugs one gets on a new compiler update), and it's just saner to
deal with this way.

... Adam