Re: Creating a PowerPC task force?

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:16:07 -0500
"Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I think other than the installer needing a bit of work to know the
> correct partition setup to use on IBM powerpc systems (as far as I
> recall wheezy still doesn't quite do the right thing, although it has
> been a while since I did a new install), and making it install grub2
> properly on systems where that is a better choice, it actually works
> quite well out of the box these days.A

I'd go as far as to propose it for usage as default, I've replaced
yaboot on my trusty 12" powerbook G4 and it works flawlessly.

> I have no experience with the powermacs and other than the dual G5s,
> they are just so hopelessly slow and outdated that I can't imagine
> really bothering with them.

I have a couple of PowerPC systems here, that I currently use and have
brought back to life -an original Efika MPC5200-based, a Powerbook G4
12" which I have upgraded with an SATA SSD and is now much faster than
before (using a 2.5" <-> 1.8" SATA adapter, in fact I'm planning to
write a howto about this soon, total cost €55!), and a Pegasos II which
unfortunately due to a buggy firmware can't see more than 1GB and
even that with timing errors, leading to memory corruption problems. So,
2 ppc32 systems.

I'd be very interested to contribute to anything that would involve
Altivec as that's one of my favourite SIMD engines still -along with
ARM NEON.

I might be more into ARM these days, but PowerPC is my favourite
architecture no doubt, and the one that got me into Linux and Debian in
the first place! I would gladly help to keep it well supported.

Regards

Konstantinos