Re: Potential issues for most ports (Was: Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info))

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 08:53:05AM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> [1] I certainly wouldn't have space for something like this:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Z800_2066_JKU.jpeg
>
> (and much less the money.  Yeah I know that is technically not an s390,
> but as I understand it, an s390 should be "around that size")

That is in fact a s390, and pretty much the smallest of the zSeries you can
find. You wouldn't be able to do anything with it even if you got it, though -
it doesn't have internal storage at all (no Mainframe has, except the
previous-generation Multiprise 3000 series), and requires external FICON/ESCON
SAN storage to boot/operate. So you'd have to take a big clunky enterprise
array of disks as well - just another full rack, if you're lucky. I was offered
one of these z800 at some point, and had to pass on it too.

Oh, and then there's the licensing stuff... chances of getting the required IBM
assistance to get it (re)installed are about on par with Justin Bieber's
chances of getting elected as President.

There's an emulator (hercules) which can run zSeries operating systems on top
of Linux, if you can get your hands on those.

Anyway, sorry for going offtopic. :-)

Lennert