Old World Mac mounting troubles

Hi all thanks for looking.

I've installed Wheezy on a 9600 PPC (oldworld) using bootx and the network install cd, and I read while searching the list that I have to copy the kernel and init from the install to my hfs partition containing bootx in order to boot the system. What I've also read and tried is to start up the installer and let it get to the partitioning stage, drop into a shell, mount the partition containing Wheezy (works), chroot into that partition, modprobe hfs (which seems to work), and mount the hfs partiton (mount -t hfs /dev/sda6 /mnt) in order to copy the kernel to the mac. At that point it gives me an error: mount; special device /dev/sda6 does not exist. I have macos 8.6 on sda and Wheezy on sdb. /dev in Wheezy doesn't contain any sda or sdb files, but I was able to mount the wheezy partition with mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt.

Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This thing is driving me batty.