Re: iBook G4 on offer for Debian PPC developer

Would u please explain that PowerBook g4 architecture?

my.linkedin.com/pub/yb-tan-sri-dato-ir-adli-a-k-a-dell/44/64b/464/
Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

From: Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com>;
To: PowerPC List Debian <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>;
Subject: Re: iBook G4 on offer for Debian PPC developer
Sent: Wed, Aug 28, 2013 6:14:22 AM

An 800MHz G4 with a stripped down system is plenty "quick enough" for development or just about anything not too computationally intensive.  I have a couple of them that I use for testing.

But an older machine like that can be seriously memory-constrained ("No sane person could possible need more than 64K of RAM!" -- designers of the original IBM PC) so you have to be extremely carful what software you try to run on it.  For example, there are packages that aren't available for the armel architecture because the build machines run out of memory trying to compile them.

Rick