Re: showstopper for debian-7.1.0-powerpc-netinst.iso on POWER5 (p505) and iscsi disk

On Aug 5, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Michael Felt wrote:

Last march I started a thread - that with help - resolved the problem of
installing from
debian-6.0.7-powerpc-netinst.iso - and installed on a p505. downloading the
new yaboot as part of the install (thanks to Lennart Sorensen for the
hints/instructions that got me going) and I could install and boot!

However, today I tried the debian-7.1.0-powerpc-netinst.iso and this is
not successful - "out of the box".

1) entering "install" at the boot prompt brought me right back to the boot
prompt, just pressing enter worked much better.

2) show stopper for an install on IBM POWER (p505) using vscsi for hdisk0.
And again the "winner" is yaboot.

┌────────────────┤ [!!] Install yaboot on a hard disk ├─────────────────┐ ││ No bootstrap partition found │ ││ No hard disks were found which have an "Apple_Bootstrap" partition. │ ││ You must create an 819200-byte partition with type "Apple_Bootstrap". │ ││ <Go Back> <Continue> │ ──────────────────────┘

I had chosen the option "whole disk" - all in one - recommended for new,
and it created two partitions only (#2 ext4, and #5 swap).

Is my assumption correct that I will need to use manual and create an
additional partition named "Apple_Bootstrap" _(for now at least) - and if
so, is there a preferred disk partition # to be used?

Thanks for the feedback.

p.s. a pointer to the bugs site is also welcome and I'll report and feed
the bug report.

Sincerely,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I don't have a p505 and I've never tried to boot anything from iSCSI, so this may be completely useless to you. What I'm going to say is based on experience with PowerPC Apple Mac G[345] hardware and IDE/ SATA disks, so take it with a grain of salt.

Open Firmware (at least on the Macs) needs an Apple HFS partition (which can be any partition number, but "2" is traditional; partition "1" is the partition table itself and "2" usually follows directly after it.) that contains a file called "ofboot.b" (which is a shim between openfirmware and yaboot), the "yaboot" binary, and the text file "yaboot.conf". The partition is "blessed" so as to be bootable.

These components are assembled into the HFS partition by a program called "ybin" that lives in /usr/sbin. Normally: The text file, "yaboot.conf". comes from your /etc directory. The "yaboot" binary comes from the /usr/lib directory. And the "ofboot.b" may be made up out of thin air (I haven't been able to locate the original outside of the HFS partition.)

It turns out that "ybin" is a shell script, so you can read it directly and try to see what it does, if you like.

If the Open Firmware on your p505 understands iSCSI, you could try making an Apple_Bootstrap" partition on partition 2. If it doesn't directly understand iSCSI, you'll need a real-live hard disk (or, possibly?, a floppy disk? or a USB stick?) to put the bootstrap partition on.

I hope this is helpful...

Rick

PS: Is the CPU in your p505 a 32-bit or 64-bit PowerPC? If it's 32- bit, try typing "expert32" at the installer "boot:" prompt. If it's 64-bit, use "expert" instead. Starting with Wheezy, the expected default hardware is 64-bit. So "expert" in Wheezy is equivalent to "expert64" in Squeeze; "expert" in Squeeze is equivalent to "expert64" in Wheezy. Clear as grapejuice?