Re: New partman-basicfilesystems debconf templates

On 20130727_122708, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2013, at 11:23 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
>
> >Hello Milan,
> >
> >I noticed that you added new templates to partman-basicfilesystems for
> >the following:
> >
> > * Warn if bootable partition is not ext2 on Pegasos machines.
> >Closes: #717511
> >
> >I'll turn these templates to translatable (they are not, yet) and mark
> >them for sublevel 4 or 5 (belong to "less common" architectures).
> >
> >However, before doing that, I'd like to use the same wording than
> >other similar templates (so that translations can be re-used).
> >
> >Particularly, the following:
> >
> >Template: partman-basicfilesystems/boot_not_first_partition
> >Type: boolean
> >Your boot partition is not located on the first partition of your
> >hard disk. This is needed by your machine in order to boot.  Please go
> >back and use your first partition as a boot partition.
> >.
> >If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error,
> >the partition will be used as is. This means that you may not be able
> >to boot from your hard disk.
> >
> >We already have such a template, but it says "on the first PRIMARY
> >partition". Would it be wrong to add this "primary" word to the
> >templates you added?
>
> I may be sticking my nose in where it's not appropriate, but...

      I am sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but ...

I had always supposed that the boot flag was required by DOS BIOS, and
only by DOS, and was required only because DOS was badly designed. I
know I have never set the boot flag on the root partition of my Debian
installs.  Sometimes the flag is set automatically, sometimes not. I
have never had to reinstall, or jump through any hoops to get an
install to boot. I had lots of other problems but never that one. Is
Pegasos special, in that it resurrects (from DOS) this design flaw? And
when I install a dual boot, preserving a DOS partition that is already
installed, I am careful to keep the boot flag set on the DOS partition,
where I think it belongs.

Other opinions?
I have been wrong before on other topics.

Cheers