Re: Installation - boot after installation fails

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:56:00PM +0100, Michael Felt wrote:
> 4 to 5 years ago I was only able to get Linux to boot, (Redhat, Novell,
> Debian) unless it was a physical disk. I have not tried that yet because I
> do not have an empty disk to supply. And if that worked I would just
> uninstall it as that is "too expensive" in terms of resources.
>
> I have tried the "install64/export64" options Guided LVM (and I choose as
> many partitions as possible) and the Guided "one partition" - recommended
> for new users option.
>
> The partitions are created, the install runs fine, but on reboot - nada.
>
> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
> |
> Elapsed time since release of system processors: 28 mins 41 secs
>
> Config file read, 4096 bytes
>
> Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
> Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
> boot: Linux
> Please wait, loading kernel...
> Can't open device </vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/@1:0>
> /vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/@1:2,/boot/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid
> device
> boot: help
>
> Press the tab key for a list of defined images.
> The label marked with a "*" is is the default image, press <return> to boot
> it.
>
> To boot any other label simply type its name and press <return>.
>
> To boot a kernel image which is not defined in the yaboot configuration
> file, enter the kernel image name as [[device:][partno],]/path, where
> "device:" is the OpenFirmware device path to the disk the image
> resides on, and "partno" is the partition number the image resides on.
> Note that the comma (,) is only required if you specify an OpenFirmware
> device, if you only specify a filename you should not start it with a ","
>
> If you omit "device:" and "partno" yaboot will use the values of
> "device=" and "partition=" in yaboot.conf, right now those are set to:
> device=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/@1
> partition=2
>
> boot:
>

> That is all I get. I am willing to spend some time on this - but I do not
> know the "Linux" way these days.
> Clear instructions, clear requests for info (e.g., if you can jump out of
> the install and look at something, manual divvy if you prefer, etc..)
>
> just might be a few hours to days between responses as I also have regular
> work to attend to.
>
> Thanks!!! for your assistance!

I just noticed the yaboot version.  1.3.13 has some issues with "newer"
IBM machines.  1.3.16 works much better, but that's only in the next
debian release (although I suppose that can't be that far away from
being released now).

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=473725 for some of
the info on this problem.

--