Re: Choice of Desktop environment at install time using netinst CD.

On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:03 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

Gah. Looking further, at the moment I don't see how (if at all) the
powerpc boot stuff passes through any of the kernel boot options to
specify a default task. Rick, what happens if you try with kde CD#1
right now? Does it actually do KDE, or does it still default to Gnome?

I don't know what happens if you use the KDE CD#1. What I did to test was this:

Boot the "netinst" installer CD.

Enter at the "boot:" prompt
    expert desktop=xfce

Answer all the questions until it gets to running tasksel.

Leave the "desktop" task checked.

Watch it install xfce4.

Be happy.

At one point in this process I switched to the F2 console and typed "cat /proc/cmdline" and saw the "desktop=xfce" phrase there.

Does that help?

Rick