iBook G3 stopped booting after last testing update

Hi,

Happy new year to all of you.

My old G3 iBook running debian testing stopped booting after the last update.
The last two lines of output are:

[ok] Cleaning up temporary files ....
[....] Setting kernel variables ...[    22.330585] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input5 done

I haven't updated for at least 5 weeks. Than I got an itch yesterday. Bad idea. I think there were at least  a hundred changed packages. And at least one of them is not playing well. First I susupected the new kernel. I booted with the rescue disk and changed it back to the old one. Didn't change a thing.
Now I'm trying to understand the way upstart ist doing its job. But so far I found nothing. So any help or hint where to look is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin