Re: Open Firmware and External 2TB HDD

On 10/26/2012 1:46 PM, Milan Kupcevic wrote:
On 10/26/2012 02:47 PM, bfb@riseup.net wrote:
Hello there,

I have been struggling to boot Debian-PPC from a new 2TB Baracuda HDD with
a Seagate GoFlex controller... FOR DAYS!

Add-on SCSI, SATA, and ATA controllers must have proper OpenFirmware
support to be able to boot an OpenFirmware machine. There are very few
add-on SATA controllers with proper OpenFirmware support.

These four are known to work:

Sonnet Tempo SATA PCI [1]
SeriTek/1V4 [2]
SeriTek/1eVE2+2 [3]
SeriTek/1S2 [4]

Other SeriTek cards explicitly described as "compatible with all
PCI-based Power PC Macintosh computers" with "completely self-contained
booting functionality" should probably work equally well.

If you find other add-on sata controller(s) able to boot a PowerMac
machine, please let me know.

  [1] http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_serial_ata.html
  [2] http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1v4/
  [3] http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1ve2plus2/
  [4] http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1s2/

To be clear, the external hard drive connects though the Seagate GoFlex Desk Adapter. In other words, the controller I have follows Hard Drive -> SATA -> USB. The controllers Milan shared follow Hard Drive -> SATA -> PCI Slot (which has no benefit for a Powerbook G4 user). Is anyone familiar with SATA to USB controllers with proper OpenFirmware to boot from an Open Firmware machine?