Re: Installing debian on mac mini G4

Hello Christian,

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 14:23 +0200, Christian Lynbech wrote:
> Anybody knows what is going on or has any ideas how I can debug the
> problem?

I tried to install Debian on my iMac G4 too from CDs couple a mouth ago,
but I had the same issue (black screen then back to selection menu). But
I have to say that I didn't search further. According to me, the mac is
unable to find the right path of yaboot... I don't know why and I'm not
sure, it's just a guess; the funny thing is that I don't have any
problem to boot from CD on my iBooks G3/G4 laptops... BTW, I used an usb
key to get it work on my iMac.

> I am going to look into trying to boot from a USB stick, and/or trying to
> netboot but would much prefer to get the CD way to work.

I'm sorry, I can't really help you with the CD; maybe someone on the
list will. In case you want to try from USB here's what you have to do.
Maybe you already know the procedure with an USB key; otherwise :

First the key. CAUTION: this will erase everything on your USB stick!
(According that you key is on /dev/sdb):

# dd if=debian-6.0.4-powerpc-CD-1.iso of=/dev/sdb

Then, with the usb key plugged in, reboot you mac and at boot time (when
you hear the "ding") get in the Open Firmware with Command+Option+O+F.

You will see a prompt with a welcome message[1]. There you have to
search for your usb device using the command dev and ls.

0 > dev usb0
0 > ls

You will probably see your keyboard device and/or mouse. But you have to
search for "disk" like /pci@f2000000/usb1b,1/disk@1. If dev usb0 didn't
gived you something relevant, proceed with usb1, etc.

0 > dev usb1
0 > ls
(...)

For example last time I booted from my usb key I found *disk@2 under
usb1.

To boot, you use the command 'boot', with information you grabbed from
ls :

0 > boot /pci@f2000000/usb1b,1/disk@2:,\install\yaboot

But note that you can use the alias too (use the command devalias, if
you're not sure):

0 > boot usb1/disk@2:,\install\yaboot

This will bring you on yaboot...

I wish you a good luck! Regards,

----
Footnote:

1. http://lifedigital2010.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/of.jpg

--
~ #ID: e20100633 <e20100633()inbox!lv> #TTY: 9-8M 4554
~ TYPE 1707-A3 S/N L3-M2812 SLACKWARE 13.0 RLU #527034