Re: Can an iMac G5 be useful for the project?

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 05:07:53PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> I held this conversation with David Bremner, who suggested me to bring
> the topic here in the list. Please comment if you find this machine
> useful in any way:
>
> I have a spare G5 machine which I'd gladly donate to the project - A
> second-generation G5 iMac, 1.25MHz IIRC. I am _not_ experienced in
> arch-specific details to be a porter, although I can most probably
> host the machine at my work (which has pretty good bandwidth). But
> I'd strongly prefer not to be the admin for it. I could also send
> the machine elsewhere, although I doubt it has economic sense.
>
> David told me the project is currently working fine with the hardware
> it has, but if this machine is useful in any way, don't hesitate to
> contact me.

I must admit that the list of powerpc build machines doesn't look that
impressive, but it does seem to be keeping up just fine.

I suspect the one machine I use at work as a powerpc build box has more
processing power than the combined powerpc buildds, but it might be a
close call.  A 4.2GHz dual core power6+ IBM p520 is a handy build server.
A tad pricy though.  Maybe IBM could donate a p710 or p720 to Debian as
a new build server.  Just a small one.  That would be nice. :)

--
Len Sorensen