Re: debian-ppc port for ps3-otheros++

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 08:04 -0400, Durandal Dokucheyav wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am contacting you guys on behalf of http://gitbrew.org.  We have
> recently released the otherOS++ firmware for the Sony Playstation 3,
> allowing the install of third-party OSes on the PS3 once again.  We
> currently have Debian-PPC running on otherOS++ with full access to
> RSX/SPE's, and would like to know if you would like to collaborate
> with us on an official Debian port.

We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
same powerpc binaries as we already provide.  But I assume there is some
specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.

> Documentation on the current method of installing Debian can be found
> at http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:Linux#Debian and information
> on PS3:OtherOS++ can be found at
> http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:OtherOS++.
[...]

These instructions seem to imply that the Debian installer does not work
properly on PS3 at the moment.  If you want to work on improving the
installer, the proper list is debian-boot@lists.debian.org.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If more than one person is responsible for a bug, no one is at fault.