Re: introduction and squeeze/power64 installs wrong kernel

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:24:44AM +0300, Gasha wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> just a short introduction...
> i'm a long time unix/linux user, and finally decided to join some
> linux development mailing lists.
>
> recently we got new Power7 machine, and i tried
> latest-squeeze-netinst.iso yesterday.
> LPAR install. no luck, cannot boot fresh install.
> after 2-3 hours of fiddling, i noticed, that Elf32 kernel is being
> loaded, which ends with tons of errors.

Yes, there is a bug.  The test in the base-installer package is
absurdly specific; it recognizes only specific Power CPUs as being
64-bit, rather than matching on "power*", which would make more sense.

> booting install64 and expert64 installs powerpc-smp kernel (32-bit)
> rescue64 boots correct (64-bit) kernel.

Interesting...

> tried to install manually 64-bit kernel, but it did not boot anyway :(

What error did you get?  Were you booting using yaboot?

> question to list:
> which image should be good starting point to get one linux LPAR running ?
> then i can do some more testing.
>
> started to download this one:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/powerpc/iso-dvd/

I don't know where you would get a good image for Power7, I'm sorry.

Paul.