Re: Xorg cpu usage 100% on Squeeze

On 15/04/11 11:23, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Fre, 2011-04-15 at 12:08 +0200, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 06:06:33PM +0100, Pat Wall wrote:
I have a vanilla Squeeze up and running on a YDL PowerStation which,
except for one issue, is now working perfectly.

Usually after a couple of hours usage the system (as in X) will suddenly
become unresponsive (sluggish mouse and keyboard doesn't work at all).
If I ssh in from another machine and run top I can see that Xorg CPU
usage is at 100% and on reboot the output of  /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old is
as [1] below:

It has always happened when browsing with Iceweasel. Has anyone on
Squeeze run into this issue? I see a very similar bug report #620138 has
been filed recently about xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. The PowerStation
has an ATI X1650.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
Basically, it looks like the GPU locks up. Does

Option "RenderAccel" "off"

in xorg.conf work around the problem?

You could try enabling KMS, but you might run into other issues with
that which Gabriel reported on the linuxppc-dev list. It might work
better with newer kernel/X/driver from testing/sid/experimental, but
don't expect any miracles.

I have no suggsetion to fix this. I have the same machine, see the same
problem, and the only way to make it stable was to remove support for
Radeon DRM in the kernel.
You could just disable the DRI with

Option "DRI" "off"

in xorg.conf. :)

Michel / Gabriel,

Many thanks for the tips - I very much appreciate them. It will be a few days before I get to try them out. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

All the best

Pat