Re: Unofficial Squeeze NetInst CDs: call for testers

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 01:01:57PM -0500, Milan Kupcevic wrote:

> Are these partitions created manually? PPC PReP boot partition should be
> between 4-8 MB, not bigger than 10MB. It also has to be a primary
> partition and marked active/bootable. This one is not marked bootable.

yes, those partitions were created manually, but this was already the
second try. On the first try i chose "Guided - use entire disk and set
up LVM" which created the 8MB PPC PReP partition which was also marked
bootable. Even then i got the same "Apple_Bootstrap" error message.

> If you want to use LVM you will have to put /boot on second primary
> partition (sda2) and copy yaboot.conf from /etc/yaboot.conf to
> /boot/etc/yaboot.conf at the end of installation procedure (right before
> installer reboots the machine). Sorry, yaboot-installer development was
> stalled for last 5 years.

I did that a bit differently with the already running 5.0.x LPARs by
sticking the whole "/" into /dev/sda2.

> > the ISOs i used for previous installs were debian-500-powerpc-netinst.iso
> > and debian-504-powerpc-netinst.iso, both worked as far as the install is
> > concerned. There were some yaboot issues with getting the successfully in-
> > stalled system to boot (see my previous postings to the list).
>
> Could you please do clean install on one disk with no lvm, no raid, no
> manual partitioning. Just choose "Guided - use entire disk," and then
> "All files in one partition."
>
> If you hit an error screen, download all install logs, pack them and
> send with your report. When you test official install CD, submit
> official installation-report or bug report. We can discuss unofficial
> install CD issues in this mailing list.

Despite the "All files in one partition." still the same error as before,
see attached log files.

> Thank you for the extra info you collected from the installer. The nvram
> info you sent is useful, boot-device was set to network boot. I'm
> collecting content of boot-device and diag-device variables from nvram
> on various configurations. Currently I need the most those that are set
> to boot Linux or AIX installed in any LPAR, especially if they boot from
> a virtual drive provided by VIOS. Can you get output of /sbin/nvsetenv
> from already running Linux installations that you have around?

See below.

Thanks & best regards,

    Frank

############