Re: Debian powerpc binary compatibility?

Hello Sebastian,

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 22:35:27 +0200
Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <sebastian@breakpoint.cc> wrote:

> * Sergei Poselenov | 2010-09-18 11:44:01 [+0400]:
>

> >Thanks, but I'm looking for specific information - what instruction
> >set was used by gcc to build Debian binaries.
> >
> >It seems to me this information is not readily available... I can
> >only guess of gcc configuration - just defaults (-mcpu=powepc
> >-msoft-float).
>
> These a few of the options that are paassed to gcc's configure script:
>
>     --enable-shared
>     --enable-multiarch
>     --enable-linker-build-id
>     --enable-threads=posix
>     --enable-nls
>     --enable-clocale=gnu
>     --enable-libstdcxx-debug
>     --enable-objc-gc
>     --enable-secureplt
>     --disable-softfloat
>     --enable-targets=powerpc-linux,powerpc64-linux
>     --with-cpu=default32
>     --with-long-double-128
>     --build=powerpc-linux-gnu
>     --host=powerpc-linux-gnu
>     --target=powerpc-linux-gnu
>
> >Yes, I'm aware of an attempt to run Debian on e500v2 - it throws
> >"Illegal instruction" on "lwsync". I'm sorry I don't have enough
> >details - what Debian Distro they tried and what kernel the target
> >has been run.
> >
> >However, speaking about the "lwsync" problem on e500 - I've got an
> >impression that the problem should be solved already -
> >http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2006-11/msg01238.html
> >
> >Do you know - isn't the fix in the mainline gcc?
>
> Yes it is. The e500 gcc (that one with target powerpc-linux-gnuspe)
> does not throw this opcode. There is however handwritten assembly
> code in a few packages using this instruction. Anyway the powerpc
> port does use this opcode and it is legal for them to do so. For the
> powerpcspe port I have a patch in binutils [0] which replaces a few
> opcodes for us. One of the replacements is lwsync with sync.

Ah, right. The main Debian uses just another GCC configuration target.

BTW, do you know - why the separate target for e500? Is the instruction
set for e500 so fundamentally different it needs a special configuration
for GCC? Why GCC cannot switch codegeneration at run-time, conditioning
on "-mcpu=e500"?

Having the separate target looks inconvenient for me - you have to
"push" the target to all package, so they wouldn't fail on "configure
--target=powerpc-linux-gnuspe".

> >And while we at this: on the [0], the current status of the project
> >is "stalled" because of GCC bug in e500 floating point insns. The
> >bug is reported against 4.4.4.
> >
> >Have you tried other Debian GCC version - 4.3? Is the bug there, too?
>
> Yes I can reproduce it on 4.3.

This is bad. Does this mean the modern GCC cannot be used for e500
currently?

> >Yes, I understand this. I guess, for your powerpcspe port you are
> >rebuilding Debian packages on the system running the same Debian,
> >right? (What Debian are running on your e500, btw? How your overcame
> >the "lwsync" problem?)
>
> Upstream packages which use are fixed / changes. Usually they benefit
> from [0] so don't have to send a lot of patches.

Mmm, do you mean that you are running the Debian rebuilt with gnuspe
GCC and [0] binutils fix?

Have you considered to fix the "lwsync" problem in kernel? I mean
to catch the Illegal Instruction exception and switch the faulted lwsync
to sync?

Regards,
Sergei