Re: About the FreeScale e500 series processor

On 2010-09-15, Bear <jilingshu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanna build a network device with FreeScale MPC8533E PowerQUICC
> III Processor chipset. But I dont know if the powerpc edition of
> debian can run on it or not. Is there anyone who can tell me the
> answer? Or, if the powerpc edition of debian is only for Apple's
> powerpc processor? And also, is there any FreeScale's processor can
> run debian-powerpc?

The e500 core is not compatible with the debian-powerpc
architecture. However, a new debian architecture (powerpcspe) is
currently being created specifically for the e500 cores. The debian
ports page for it is here [0].

>From the build stats page [1] you can see that over 90% of the debian
packages have already been built. Be aware that there are several open
bug reports, including a compiler bug that has currently stalled the
project.

You may also want to ask Freescale about this port. I expect that
Freescale is also interested in seeing this port become official.

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort
[1] http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/

John Ogness