Which module should one use for sound on pmacs? (was: Re: debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde, 7/26/10)

Hi there.

On Jul 28 2010, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * Gombang Nan Cengka [100728 12:03 +0700]:
> > 2010/7/28 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
> > > Perhaps we should kill the snd-* madness in Debian (at least)? Does
> > > snd-aoa* actually work for a majority of users?
>
> We should distribute what the Linux Kernel provides!

Right. I am CC'ing some people that can potentially have answers to this
question. If you have any comments, it would be nice to get this sorted
out for the distributions. :-)

>From a very quick look at the source code of snd-aoa, it seems that the
chips supported are onyx, tas and toonie.

How should the distribution side of this be handled (say, with the
automatic loading of the proper module) with machines that use, say,
tumbler?

> > > It is my understanding that snd-powermac works for more users (almost
> > > all?) of stock apple-based powerpcs and Linux.
> >
> > Last I tried snd-aoa didn't work. (iBook G4 1,2 GHz) I have to use
> > snd-powermac to get the sound working. I'm curious as well why it is
> > so.
>
> snd-aoa works great here on a PowerBook5,8 ;-)

OK, fine that it works for you. :-) It would be nice if it worked for
many others, though. :-) What about snd-powermac, OTOH?

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de