Re: fan management on G5

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 05:46:08PM -0700, Gary wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I, too, am running squeeze -- maybe I
> forgot to mention that. I'm a regular updater as well. In fact, I was
> just running an update before checking my email and found the
> following unrelated issue with a Broadcom network adapter I'm using
> (see below)... I'm worried that if I reboot now that my card won't
> work but those files don't exist currently so I'm not sure what to
> suggest. The files in /lib/firmware appear to be binary blobs but I
> don't know for certain.

The Tigon 3 network adapter will work just fine without the firmware in
most cases.  I have an amd64 machine with the same network card and it
doesn't need the firmware.

> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-trunk-powerpc64
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/tigon/tg3_tso5.bin for module tg3
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/tigon/tg3_tso.bin for module tg3

These two files are optional; if present, they enable TSO (TCP Segment
Offloading), a optimization to maximize throughput.  If you don't have
them, then you don't get TSO, but the card will work normally.

> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/tigon/tg3.bin for module tg3

This is important if you have an early model card (a 5701 rev A0),
because it contains a patch for a significant bug.  Otherwise, it's
irrelevant.