Re: yaboot failure on external drive

On 28/03/10 01:44 PM, Greg Ward wrote:
Hi all --

I'm trying to install lenny (5.0.4 netinst) on a firewire drive
connected to a PowerBook G4.  This is really a dry run to see how much
I can get working under Debian.  (Right now I'm torn between sticking
to slow, bloated OS X 10.5, downgrading to OS X 10.4, or switching to
a leaner OS altogether... and Debian is my first choice, although this
will be the first time I've ever put Linux on non-x86 machine.  It's
the eternal struggle between "everything just works, but I'm not
really in control" (OS X) and "most things work after I spend enough
time fiddling with them, but I am in control" (Linux).)

For partitioning, I let debian-installer do "guided partitioning" of
the whole 40 GB disk.  Then I manually tweaked that so that lenny only
gets a 10 GB partition, because I also want to backup the existing OS
X install onto this same disk.  But I left the boot partition that d-i
created alone.

The installation goes fine until it tries to install yaboot.  That fails with

              Failed to install boot loader
   The installation of the yaboot boot loader failed.

   Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.

   Warning: your system may be unbootable!

At this point I have a couple of questions.

1) can I install yaboot on a firewire disk?  I know OS X itself will
boot off this disk, since I have done it successfully.  So I'm
assuming yaboot+linux can also boot off of it.

2) how do I get to VC 4?  i.e. what is the equivalent of Alt-F4 on a
Mac running Linux?  I've tried Fn-F4, Ctrl-F4, Option-F4, and
Command-F4.  It looks like the keystrokes go to debian-installer
rather than being intercepted by the kernel.

3) the first time I tried this (yesterday), I used "Execute a shell"
in hopes of looking in /var/log/syslog... but the console keymapping
was totally screwed up.  All I could do was powerdown and give up in
frustration.  I just retried the installation today with the same
yaboot error, and now (thankfully) I can use the shell.  The only
difference between the two attempts is that yesterday I partitioned
manually, and today I used guided partition with manual adjustments.
Any idea what might have gone wrong with my console keymap yesterday?

4) ah-ha! now that I can read syslog, I think I've found the yaboot problem:

     yaboot-installer: mkofboot: Unable to find OpenFirmware path for
boot=/dev/sda2
     yaboot-installer: mkofboot: Please add ofboot=<path>  where<path>
is the OpenFirmware path to /dev/sda2 to /etc/yaboot.conf

     Well that sounds straightforward... /dev/sda is my firewire disk
(the internal disk is /dev/hda -- this Mac is pre-SATA).  So now I
need to figure out how to say "/dev/sda2" in OpenFirmware's syntax.
I'll go off and do the obvious google'ing, but any hints are welcome.

Thanks --

Greg

http://www.firmworks.com/QuickRef.html will help.