Re: Kernel 2.6.35-rc1

Hallo Elimar,

Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
> * Jörg Sommer [100604 09:38 +0000]
>> Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
>> > did one try 2.6.35-rc1.?
>>
>> Yes, me.

For the record, 2.6.35-rc2 still fails to boot. Has anyone an idea how to
invetigate these ugly kernel crashes on boot up. Netconsole doesn't work,
because the NIC isn't up and ready at the time of the crash. My iBook
lacks a serial port and USB isn't up and ready, too.

>> > I compiled one with make oldconfig (working 2.6.34's) and after booting
>> > fron yaboot there is only a black screen. After a while the dong gives
>> > me signal that the machine is rebooting.
>>
>> At me, it dies with a backtrace and ???attempt to kill init.???
>>
>> > Thanks for hints.
>>
>> Maybe you try the new ramoops. That's what I plan to do to investigate my
>> kernel panic.
>
> How can the RAM be readed after saving an oops/panic to it?

There should be a tool, but you can read it from /dev/mem, too. But as
far as I read about this new feature on the net, it is only for special
devices they preserve somehow the memory content. General purpose
machines don't have this feature. I suspect these devices have a kind of
nvram where the oops log is saved.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Das Recht, seine Meinung zu wechseln, ist eines der wichtigsten
menschlichen Privilegien.