Re: g5 install problem

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Ron Brooks <rbrooks56@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I joined this group hoping for a solution so here's the problem. I
> have a Powermac G5 1.6 single processor that I've tried many times to
> install Debian. The install goes fine...but on reboot up comes the
> black bootstrap screen which asks if I want to boot from the hd or cd.
> I choose hd but it just loops until the fan goes crazy and I have to
> power it down manually. I've tried the rescue option with no luck. One
> thing I forgot...there is no MacosX installed just Debian.  Thanks.

it seems that something goes wrong with yaboot if you are not able to
see his first and second stage screen and, maybe, the kernel provided
didn't support your Powermac G5 first model's windfarm.
Have you checked if Apple has available an Openfirmware update/fix for
your model?

I've recently acquired a pmac G5 2x1.8 (november 2003) but i use it
with CRUX PPC 64bit anyway i can provide to you a working kernel
config if needed.

The only problem i encountered is that linux-2.6.34 isn'y able to
shutdown that machine. Linux-2.6.32 works fine.

greetz,
-nello
--
Power Mac G4 AGP 450MHz - DebianPPC/CRUX PPC (32bit)