Re: debian on imac G4?

On 16 Feb 2010, at 11.03, Clark Martin wrote:

That sounds like the usual Xorg problem. When you boot, at the second stage boot (I think it says "type help..." hit tab type in whatever term is marked with an asterisk (it may be just "Linux") followed by a space followed by a "1". This should force it to boot to a shell prompt.

It has Linux and old, neither with an asterisk, but Linux 1 does bring me to the command line.

Try the following commands:

Xorg -configure
Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

I guess it doesn't work. The second choice boots me into a screen of very small black and white squares. Otherwise, i can only see an X mouse cursor, which does move with the mouse. Had to kill the power and reboot. I didn't do the next step since I'm pretty sure i don't want this for my gui...

If that works, then try:

mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot

Anything more i can try to configure x?

A million thanks for your help!!

-bill