Re: X11 Keyboard mapping with hal: How?

On 01/21/2010 12:55 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 03:01 +0100, Adrian Zaugg wrote:

If I wtach the Xorg.0.log I see with hal working it choses a keyboard
layout "sg" (instead of "ch" Variant "de_mac") and I remember vaguely
typing this once in a Debian dialog when installing. The layout "sg"
doesn't exist, that's why I'm quite sure, I did this type. But I can't
find the package to dpkg-reconfigure -plow to stumble upon this question
again. Any hint?

console-setup maybe?
No, this does not ask for the layout and afaik only affects the console and not X11.
dpkg-reconfigure -plow console-data is to change the layout in the console.

On 01/21/2010 03:42 AM, Andika Triwidada wrote:
> maybe
> $ grep key /var/cache/debconf/config.dat|grep Template|sort|uniq
This is indeed the file, where I can find the "sg" entry. I corrected it and dpkg-reconfiguered xserver-xorg without success. What do I have to do that this files get into account?

Another strange thing is: I can't direct KDE to use the correct layout. Once logged in, I could set the keyboard correct at least for myself, but this fails too. If I set it in the GUI, nothing changes. When I execute
	setxkbmap -model macintosh -layout ch -variant de_mac
I get
	Error loading new keyboard description
If I suppress any variant, the layout switches. Aren't these variant descriptions installed on my system?

The try to change the layout via hal, in the file
	/etc/hal/fdi/policy/debian-x11-keymap.fdi
by setting:
	<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">ch</merge>
        <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">macintosh</merge>

doesn't change the behavior neither.
The Xorg-Log still shows:
(II) config/hal: Adding input device ADB keyboard
(**) ADB keyboard: always reports core events
(**) ADB keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) ADB keyboard: Found keys
(II) ADB keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ADB keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "macintosh"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "sg"

Any further help would be appreciated. Has anyone squeeze installed on a PowerBook G4, using a none-US Keyboard and it is working right?

Best regards, Adrian.