Re: installing on PPC Mac Mini without any OS installed

On Jul 15, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Gary wrote:

You wrote:
Is there a way to install Debian without any OS installed? From all I've read, it seems like MacOSX needs to be installed before Debian can be installed. Is this still true?'

Only if you plan on multi-booting between OS X and Debian. If you're
only running Debian then mac-fdisk will partition your drive properly
for yaboot to work with it. I don't remember having this issue with
stable but the current testing builds have an issue where they only
create an 800 K New World boot partition when it actually needs to be
800 Mb.

-Gary

I don't think this is true. The New World Boot partition (HFS format) contains only a minimal amount of stuff. That stuff may, indeed, have grown beyond 800KB but I'd be *very* surprised if it had grown to 800MB.

I've got several PowerMacs running Squeeze and Sid and none of them have New World Boot partitions over 1MB in size.

Rick