Re: How usable is Debian on PowerBook G4?

On 3/31/10, Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 17:21 -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Aris Monazteriaz <iamaris@gmx.com> wrote:
>> > How usable is Debian on PowerBook G4? Can I install programs right away
>> > or
>> > I have to compile them myself? Can I install Firefox with Flash support?
>> > etc..
>> >

>> You don't have to but if you get the compiler flags right for your cpu
>> optimized it will run a lot faster.
>> Especially these days more than ever as auto-altivec optimizing has
>> been greatly improve with gcc4.5
>
> Do you have any numbers to back that claim?

Try building gprolog - it has a benchmark suite in the build
directory. Build from upstream source.
70-100% faster in all tests.

I just did this a few days ago, its the first time I did.

On the other hand though, you can do this trick on macosX just as easily.

Most people advise, just optimize the software you use most heavily.
Which is a personal matter, still
it would be nice to have common packages like iceweasel-{7400,7450}.
For macos you can get these from a mozilla person in the UK.

Brian