Re: How to install java

Hi Johnny,

to be honest, I wouldn't bother with the OpenJDK java on ppc linux. I found that it wasn't very good (but then maybe I did something wrong?!) I installed the IBM java and it worked very well. Google around and you'll find the instructions how to do it. If I have time later I'll let you know how I did it...

A question for others on this list: Do you agree that the IBM java is the best one available for PPC linux at the moment? Ok, the OpenJDK one might work for some things, but when you want to use a more complex Java game, then it didn't seem to work very well for me. And there also seems to be some confusion within the Synaptic manager - for example, why on earth does it offer the Sun Java package for PPC computers, when it clearly doesn't work!!

Best regards,

Robert.