Re: Getting LXDE Debain

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 03:06:37PM -0400, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10 on my PowerBook G4 and I'm tried of
> it's flakiness and the GNOME bloat.  I found this image and I was
> wondering if anyone had any experience with it.
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-504-powerpc-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso
>
> Is there anything special I need to know before I start or is it like a
> Ubuntu install (which I have done several times before)?

If you are looking for a real stable system then yes Debian Lenny is the
way to go.

Right now I have squeeze running on a PowerBook G4 Ti (500MHz, 512MB
RAM) and it runs beautifully. The latest kernel fixed the suspend to ram
issue and it works great.

On mine XFCE wasn't too snappy, I haven't tried LXDE on this specific
machine but it should fair better.

However, if you are willing to invest some time in configuring this
system, I suggest going with openbox. It is really lightweight and you
can have system trays, etc.

For the install, it should be straight forward if you want to format
everything and install only Debian. I'm not sure if the GUI installer
works for PowerPC but text based installer is quite simple as well.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Amit