Re: Debian or ubuntu

Hi everyone,

Le mardi 16 mars 2010 à 17:32 +0100, Brian Durant a écrit :
> it became a community effort. Gnash and swfdec are both terrible and the
> only way that you can view You Tube in a browser. Ubuntu hasn't even
> bothered to include these in the default Karmic PPC install. An
> alternative is to use Download Helper, a Firefox extension. Video

I recently tested Youtube with html5 (http://youtube.com/html5 ) on my
x86-64 and it works great with epiphany ! I just tried it on my PPC, the
plugin loads but the video won't play ; as my PowerBook is in a strange
state after some tests, it may be another problem, but it may still work
for you. Try it !

Le mardi 16 mars 2010 à 08:24 -0700, Gary a écrit :
> Re sound, Ive been looking through the wiki for info on enabling sound
> on the Mac G5. Has anyone found the solution & if so, did it work?

This is a long known problem and I think it won't get fixed anymore.
This is just a problem of detecting the correct platform and loading the
appropriate driver : snd-aoa should be the way to go for most Macs (it's
working fine on my alubook (Powerbook6,8)) but not enough people are
motivated to debug the problem, and not enough knowledgeable people
motivated to fix it. So, people prefer forcing the use of "old"
snd-powermac. Both driver should handle everything fine, it's just that
the platform-guessing code has some problems, I think.

Le mardi 16 mars 2010 à 14:03 +0100, Robert Chamberlain a écrit :
> which they are written. I couldn't, for example, see any of the
> flash
> videos on the BBC site... And you can forget about using Gnash or
> swfdec. They're hopeless. Gnash seems to have the better prospects,

I agree with you about Gnash & swfdec : they are not worked on enough to
get proper Flash support, sadly.
Regarding the BBC, I recently discovered get-iplayer (package available
in Debian) which works quite well for me (I only listen to radios, but
it seems to work for videos too).

Anyway, I also agree with everyone on saying that Debian still has a
"good enough" support for PPC. I don't know about Ubuntu.

BTW, the PPC platform is still kind of updated kernel-wise, as the macio
libata driver landed in 2.6.33 thanks to benh. It allows to use the
"new" ATA stack in the kernel, as the old one will disappear some day. I
tested a patched 2.6.32 and it worked well. So the PPC platform for Mac
is still not abandoned. I am interested in it to get proper support for
new SSD features, since I installed one in my PowerBook (and it makes it
"quite" fast compared to today average computers).

Regards,
benjamin