APM Emulation Missing From Lenny 5.0.3

Did a base install (not even "standard") on a white dual-USB iBook.

Most lightweight systray battery monitors are APM-only, so I want to enable APM emulation.  Most online advice says to make sure "apm_emu" is listed in my "modules" file.  It already is, as it was put there by the Debian Installer, but it never loads because it's missing!

A "find -name apm*" doesn't come up with anything remotely similar.  Aptitude also comes up empty-handed... how can I get this binary?

Possibly this is a related bug from 2004, but it seems like it should have been resolved in time for Lenny...?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/11/msg00008.html

Thanks for your help,
Paul