Re: udev 146-5 and ppc64 kernel

Julien BLACHE writes:

> Stephane Louise <luigi+online@nerim.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > marie:/home/luigi# grep -i inotify /boot/config-2.6.30-2-powerpc64
> > CONFIG_INOTIFY=y
> > CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y
> > marie:/home/luigi# grep -i signalfd /boot/config-2.6.30-2-powerpc64
> > CONFIG_SIGNALFD=y
>
> udev's preinst checks for those features by looking for
> sys_inotify_init and sys_signalfd in /proc/kallsyms.
>
> Look at the preinst script and check your system; you should find
> pretty quickly what's wrong with your system/config or udev.

The symbols in /proc/kallsyms are .sys_inotify_init and .sys_signalfd,
not sys_inotify_init and sys_signalfd, so the preinst script thinks
they're not there.  I kludged around it by doing "sudo touch
/etc/udev/kernel-upgrade", but a better way would be to fix the
regexps in the preinst script.

The "." at the start of the symbol names is an ABI thing; ".foo"
refers to the start of the text for function foo, "foo" refers to the
procedure descriptor for foo.

Paul.