Re: Booting from USB Drive

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 09:59:58AM -0400, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PowerBook G4.  Is there any way to get it to boot from USB
> drive.  I can set it up but I need the correct initrd.gz to make it
> work.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Can anyone suggest a web site?

AFAIK it's possible from within OpenFirmware. But there are no easy
aliases to access your USB drive. This you'll have to dig into
OpenFirmware commands.

Probably you will also need a HFS partition with yaboot on it on your
stick because OpenFirmware can only read from HFS.

Conclusion: While I believe it's possible in theory it's certainly not
an easy thing to do. Sorry I don't have any links ready, but I remember
that Colin Watson booted his Powerbook from a USB device.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.