Re: Need to wipe/erase hard drive of iBook G4

Dear Jason,

Are you wanting to guarantee that all previous data is unrecoverable, or are you just wanting to install debian?

The debian powerpc installer has an 'expert' mode available. You could run through the installer up to the point where you have detected your hard drive, then execute "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/hda" in a shell. You'll have to (i) wait a really freaking long time, and (ii) set up a new partition table, which the installer can help you do.

Or, you could just set up a new partition table and trust that the old data will be obliterated beyond recovery after a month of regular use.

What brought me to debian orignally was that, when I became interested in Linux, it was the only distro to actually install on my mac.

Peter