Re: PowerBook G4 12"

> I don't think, that Linux shows better perfomance than Mac OS X on an
> G4, but I didn't measure any benchmarks and who knows ...

It's mostly true, except that GNU/Linux gives you more choice in terms
of applications and desktop environment, some of which are much more
lightweight and adapted to such machines.

Also the HFS+ filesystem sucks performancewise (especially if you use
many hardlinks, in which case it really performs terribly), so you may
see a significant performance difference there.  Back when I used GNU
Arch, I would often see a 10x speed difference between GNU/Linux and
MacOSX (tho it's probably a pathological situation).

Of course, MacOSX is also faster in other cases (3D graphics comes to
mind).

        Stefan