Re: user without root privilege

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:16:36 +0000 (GMT), the grv <mygrv@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> my problem is that the normal user not have a simple command as
"ifconfig".
> Bash reply me that the command not exist!

Because you must be root to change your network settings.

> When i login with root, the command exist instead!

If you just want to look at ifconfig's output, it's just that it's not in
your $PATH, but in /sbin.

> I'll like to connect to internet by bash and use irssi or lynx (with my
> user)!

Take a look at 'man interfaces' and 'man ifup'. Your user should also be in
the group 'netdev', I think (which is already the case if you're using the
user which was created at install time).

> I must to modify the sudoers file, but where is it? And what i do?

You /may/ use sudo, but first sudo is not installed by default on debian,
and second, once installed, see 'man sudoers'.

> Please help me.
> thank you.

No problem, but these problems are not specific to powerpc, so I think your
messages would be more approriate on debian-user or something like that (or
by looking at debian manuals, or google, or .... there's a lot of stuff
online about that kind of "problem").

And please avoid posting several times your message, too ...

Regards,
benjamin