Check var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for details.

The burn was to a 8.5 GB DVD+R DL using a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-118L (which was also the same device used to boot the installation disk) following the download of debian-503-powerpc-DVD-1.iso.  I had first tried burning to a 4.7 GB  DVD-R; but, that failed to burn without giving specifics to why.  The device I am trying to install to is an OEM ATA Device 00 SBP-LUN linked to the system via the Firewire port.

This is where I stand at the moment.

On Dec 21, 2009, at 8:41 PM, Brian Morris wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Morris <cymraegish@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: Installing on a firewire drive.
To: "Frank J. R. Hanstick" <trog24@comcast.net>

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Frank J. R. Hanstick <trog24@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello,
       I have a PPC Quicksilver running MacOS 10.5.8 and would like to install Linux on a partitioned Firewire drive.  I looked through the installation document and could not find a way to redirect the installation to the drive.  The drive is recognized bootable because the MacOS is booting from the drive.  Anyone have a idea of how I can perform the installation?  I should also inform you that I am extremely new to Linux.
Frank J. R. Hanstick

Bootloader can be a little challenging. Normally one chooses the first parition on the primary hard drive which is the default to boot from as Linux boot partition -- then that points to the actual partiton(s) where you are running your linux. The boot partition also should be a certain size (its about 900k I think). ybin also sets the startup partition in NVRAM. You can boot into Mac using the option key held down at startup without disturbing this. Also you can specify your osX partition number (the actual count all partions including the map and any drivers, not a mac (bsd style) partion i.d.) and get a console text menu at startup where you are asked to type L for linux or X for mac, with a default.

You can set all that up as usual but if the firewire drive is not hook up obviously you could get stuck, especially if it is not all set up correct (there should be questions from the installer to guide you).

Another way to boot into openfirmware and specify the id of the startup drive by hand. You should probably know that for this situation in case of troubles.

Note especially that if you put the boot block on the firewire drive what that would do.

Hope this summary is enough of an orientation. Advise you do only a basic installation to test, then you can do a full or you can install what software you want with aptitude.

Frank J. R. Hanstick