Re: keyboard problems in Squeeze

Hi All

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:05:27AM +0000, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed Squeeze on Powerbook5,6 and I'm trying to set up
> Polish keyboard in X11 and try to do it the way it worked for me in
> Lenny that is
>
> PL_pl locales default and  following settings in xorg.conf:
>
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> Option "XkbLayout" "pl"
> Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:rwin_switch"
>

> Funny thing it works in a terminal, it does not work in emacs,
> iceweasel and gnome administration panel.

I had these problems too, on both - IIRC - a Powerbook5,8 (alubook)
and a Powerbook3,5 (Titanium IV). Keyboard is DE.

The Titanium has a more or less completely updated unstable Debian on
it, while the alubook has an unstable Debian, too, installed, but with
rather fresh packages installed mainly for xorg. Most of the rest of
the software on the alubook is an about half a year old unstable
Debian.

After lots of testing on both machines over the last few days, this is
what I found:

It seems I worked around the issues on both machines, for both FVWM and
KDE - with on old KDE on the alubook and a newer one on the Titanium -
by

*** 1:

*** A:

Moving ~/.xmodmap completely out of the way. No ~/.xmodmap on both
computers.

*** B:

Also on the Titanium there is no xorg.conf installed.

On the alubook all I have in xorg.conf is this:

------------------------
# xorg.conf.dpkg-new (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf.dpkg-new manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf.dpkg-new" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.dpkg-new.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

#Section "Files"

	# see http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7:
	# FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi:unscaled"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi:unscaled"
#	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
#	FontPath	"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver		"synaptics"
#	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
#	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/event7"
	Option		"TapButton1"		"1"
	Option		"TapButton2"		"2"
	Option		"TabButton3"		"3"
	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
	Option		"LeftEdge"		"0"
	Option		"RightEdge"		"850"
	Option		"TopEdge"		"0"
	Option		"BottomEdge"		"645"
	Option		"MinSpeed"		"0.4"
	Option		"MaxSpeed"		"1"
	Option		"AccelFactor"		"0.02"
	Option		"FingerLow"		"25"
	Option		"FingerHigh"		"30"
	Option		"MaxTapMove"		"20"
	Option		"MaxTapTime"		"180"
	Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
	Option		"VertScrollDelta"	"30"
	Option		"EmulateMidButtonTime"	"75"
	Option		"SHMConfig"		"on"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier      "Default Layout"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

----------------------

I only have that latter file installed because the alubook touchpad
needed a little tuning.

*** 2:

Downgrading xkb-data to 1.5-2 and then re-upgrading it to 1.6-1.
And upgrading emacs22 to 22.3+1-1.1 seemed to help, too

*** 3:

The few extra keys I need are loaded either via

*** A:

an entry in ~/.xinitrc, like so:

on the alubook:

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 104 = ISO_Level3_Shift"
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 134 = Multi_key"
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Super_L"

on the Titanium:

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Multi_key"

or

*** B:

via a startup file in ~/.kde/env/ with this content:

on the alubook:

#!/bin/sh
#xmodmap /home/shorty/.xmodmap

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 104 = ISO_Level3_Shift"; \
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 134 = Multi_key"; \
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Super_L"

on the Titanium:

#!/bin/sh

#xmodmap /home/shorty/.xmodmap
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Multi_key"

Permissions for the files in ~/.kde/env/ on both machines are 744

Current settings for the machines:

**** On the alubook:

$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwertz)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(mac)"  };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+macintosh_vndr/de(nodeadkeys)+inet(evdev)+level3(lwin_switch)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)"     };
        xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"  };
};

**** On the Titanium:

xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwertz)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(mac)"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+macintosh_vndr/de(nodeadkeys)+inet(evdev)+level3(enter_switch)+compose(rwin)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"	};
};

*** Notes, tentative:

It suspect the current xmodmap from x11-xserver-utils 7.4.+2 being
incompatible for use with fresher packages from either xorg or hal or
evdev or whatever.

Because my initial approach was to let xorg, hal, evdev, console-setup
and who-the-hell-knows set up the keyboard without too much of my
user intervention. Except that I still had my ~/.xmodmap file
installed, IIRC. And except that I ran
'dpkg-reconfigure console-setup'
on both machines (according to bash history there ... )

After letting the software set up my keyboard as shown, I changed a
few keys on X with xmodmap, and piped the thus created keyboard
setting into an ~/.xmodmap. Which on first sight worked, but in the
end - I believe - broke the extra keys like 'at' etc. for both emacs
and firefox.

You maybe can test that latter error scenario yourself, without
actually creating ~/.xmodmap, by just running

xmodmap -pke | less

When I did that - with the broken keyboard - I saw 'xmodmap' reporting
lots of errors - I forgot what they exactly were ...

That command does not report these mistakes any more with .xmodmap
moved out of the way.

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang