Re: Fwd: Fan control ?

Hi, Niels.

On Sep 07 2009, Niels S. Eliasen wrote:
> and yes! i
> the iSCSI is overkill... but I intend to use it ... " a little
> later" ....

The best thing is to isolate the unneeded parts all at once and go on
turning them on one by one.

Also, it would be useful if you could drop into single user mode to get
rid of all those Desktop Environment crap.

> >>appletalk              33012  20

Do you need appletalk?

> >>lp                     13388  0
> >>parport                40176  1 lp

I'm not sure if parport on such a notebook is needed.

> >>autofs4                22788  0

Do you need autofs4?

> >>cpufreq_userspace       6776  0
> >>cpufreq_stats           7908  0
> >>cpufreq_ondemand       10624  0
> >>cpufreq_powersave       5280  0
> >>cpufreq_conservative    10144  0

Unfortunately, the ondemand and conservative drivers most probably won't
work with your computer (it may complain about too high latency to
switch speeds---heck it even does that on my Pentium D 805).

> >>nfsd                  222456  17

Are you serving any nfs clients from this machine?

> >>nfs                   262224  0

Are you using any nfs servers from this machine?

> >>ext2                   73256  1

Which filesystems are you using? Ext2? Ext3? You can drop the unneeded
modules.

> >>lm75                    9744  0

I'm not really sure about lm75 on an Apple Mac.

> >>airport                 8512  0
> >>orinoco                40692  1 airport
> >>hermes                 10528  2 airport,orinoco

Do you have a standard airport card? (802.11b)

> >>sbp2                   23116  0

Are you using Firewire for the moment?

> >>dm_mirror              20608  0
(...)
> >>raid10,raid456,raid1,raid0,multipath,linear

Are you using any kind of redundancy (RAID) on your powerbook?

> >> 50,1% ( 53,9)       <interrupt> : 1    Level     VIA-PMU
> >>  7,8% (  8,4)       <interrupt> : 1    Level     ide1

You seem to have many access to the disk. Perhaps, you could track down
what is using the disc with:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

(Warning, this may generate copious amounts of output!)

> >>  1,4% (  1,5)            mysqld : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)

Do you need an SQL server on your notebook?

> >>  0,9% (  1,0)           apache2 : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)

A webserver?

> >>  0,9% (  0,9)           dovecot : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)

A mailserver?

> >>  0,5% (  0,5)             spamd : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)

A spam classifier?

> >>  0,4% (  0,5)          mt-daapd : do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)

A DAAP server?

> >>  0,1% (  0,1)       amavisd-new : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)

An anti-virus checker?

> >> echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
> >> mount -o remount,noatime /
> >> hal-disable-polling --device /dev/cdrom

Those suggestions from powertop are very good measures to take if you
are chasing something that you don't really understand.

Anyway, I suggest that you think about the points that I listed above
(after all, you know your needs). There's no need to justify your uses.
I'm just bringing them to your attention.

OTOH, seeing if the fan is turned on even when you remove some modules
and in single user mode would help a lot (as root, run: "telinit 1").
Running powertop while in single user mode would also help.

Regards, Rogério Brito.