Re: xserver Settings for ATI Rage 128

On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 10:50 +0200, Ralf Saalmüller wrote:

> On 22.08.2009 at 17:08 Dirk wrote:
>
> > Hi Clark, thanks for this hint. I tried it, but no success...
> > resolution
> > still remains at 800x600...
>

> You have to trust in xorg, which tries to get everything right. Sad
> thing, it does get wrong on Apple Computers quit often.
>

> A good point to start is read-edid by John Fremlin
> ( see http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/ )
>

> Of course you have to set up an xorg.conf, but you should use the
> output of
> get-edid | parse-edid
> in your "Monitor" section. This has worked for a eMac with debian
> lenny which stuck at 1024x768. Now it's 1280x1024.
>

> I use that with fbdev I had to state. And you should use a short
> xorg.conf with the essential information. xorg isn't that bad in
> guessing the other things.

It shouldn't be bad for displays either with a current version of the
radeon driver - if the version from sid (or even better, current
upstream Git) fails to detect the connected display(s) correctly, it's
worth filing a bug report. For Rage128 cards, the problem is that the X
r128 driver hasn't been actively developed in years, so it may indeed
still require more manual configuration.