Re: xserver Settings for ATI Rage 128

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:07:20 +0200
Dirk <dave05er@yahoo.com> wrote:

D> Rick, thanks for your response.
D> I took your xorg.conf and tried it on my system - no luck,
D> unfortunately. KDE still starts in 800x600 resolution and there is no
D> option to change it. The monitor control panel only shows "800x600"
D> in the dropdown menu.

Ugly solution:
Find an old live CD that gives the right resolution (on my iBook G3,
Ubuntu Gutsy works)
Boot it.
Copy the xorg.conf to an external device.
Reboot with the current Debian.
Copy the xorg.conf from the external device
Restart X
Keep that xorg.conf safe (e.g. at least have a copy somewhere outside
/etc in case a later upgrade overwrites it).

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |