Re: Making an ATI Radeon X1900 PCIe work on a G5/Quad (or can I?)

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 18:07 +0200, Stephane Louise wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm having troubles making an ATI Radeon X1900 PCIe work on my G5/Quad.
> It is the G5 MacEdition (and it works with Mac OS X, tested).

[...]

> (--) RADEON(0): BIOS at 0xa0020000
> (II) RADEON(0): PCIE card detected
> (II) Attempted to read BIOS 64KB from
> /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0a:00.0/rom: got 0KB
> (WW) RADEON(0): Video BIOS not detected in PCI space!
> (WW) RADEON(0): Attempting to read Video BIOS from legacy ISA space!
> (II) RADEON(0): Attempting to read un-POSTed bios
> (II) Attempted to read BIOS 64KB from
> /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0a:00.0/rom: got 0KB
> (WW) RADEON(0): Video BIOS not detected in PCI space!
> (WW) RADEON(0): Attempting to read Video BIOS from legacy ISA space!
> (WW) RADEON(0): Unrecognized BIOS signature, BIOS data will not be used
> (WW) RADEON(0): Unrecognized BIOS signature, BIOS data will not be used
> (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> I compared with my Mac Mini G4: the difference being that with the G4,
> and Radeon R280, it doesn't care about being unable to access BIOS
> signature.

With older cards the driver doesn't require any information from the
ROM, but with newer cards (as of X1xxx) it relies on byte code in the
ROM (called ATOM BIOS) for low-level initialization and modesetting. I
suspect the Mac Edition of the card doesn't have an ATOM BIOS though;
ironically a 'standard' card might work better.

You can try the radeonhd driver instead, which relies less on the ROM.