Re: Brother Printer Driver

Hi

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 03:17:14PM +0200, drz wrote:
> Hi  all
>
> Anybody got a Brother printer running? (Especially MFC-7420)
>
> Brother provides a driver but its compiled against i386 and there are
> executables (or binaries) in the package so its not possible to use the driver
> on a powerpc.
> They do not provide source packages (Brother Linux Driver center
> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/ ).
> I didnt investigate very far. But does anybody have a brother printer running?

Yes. Some printer, especially those with PCL or PS emulation run fine.
But MFC printers are trickier. As far as I know no MFC device is fully
supported. I don't know if printing works with some of them.

I one wrote to brother about the proprietary drivers, but they weren't
very cooperative. They use a strange lincense which allows modification,
but don't provide source.

See http://linuxprinting.org for more information about specific
devices.

Gaudenz