Re: Name of kernel driver that manages fan (PowerBook5,8)

Thanks a lot, Michel, for your fast response .. :)

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:35:18PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 12:12 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes my fan seems to hang, at a very high speed, IINM, that is,
> >
> > /sys/devices/temperatures/sensor1_fan_speed
> >
> > in these cases gives me a value of something like
> >
> > 0 (3859 rpm)

> It's a bug in the therm_adt746x driver, it sometimes sets the hardware
> bit which inverts the meaning of the fan speed register. The patch below
> fixes it for me, I'm going to submit it for inclusion.

Patch applies fine to vanilla 2.6.29, after removing a little from the
non code part of your email ... :) .. And after some ugly debate with
mutt here because it first changed the code when saving the patch:
I had to save the message as an attachment, and not from the usual
read view on that message, IINM ... worked in the end tho ... :)

I don't have the sources anymore for my current kernel, so I will
try build a kernel from that stable 2.6.29 lying around ...

Feedback on whether the patch helps can take many weeks - because the
described bug usually shows up only every 2 months or so ...

Anyways - thanks a lot your help

Nice weekend

Best Regards
Wolfgang