Re: xorg.conf powerbook g4 kde 4.2.2

On Sun, 10 May 2009 02:00:56 +0200
drz <drz@rizzux.org> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Im really happy to have gotten a powerbook g4, was a PC user before.
> And lenny works great. No installation issues. Good work!
> Maybe I should add that I encryted the whole system with the installer.

I have a PowerBook G4 and Debian has been working great here. Kudos to
debian devs.

> 1. I havent worked on getting the wireless to go. Any Links to HOWTOs are
> welcome.

Wireless should work out of the box. I never had an issue with wireless
on this PB G4. What do you get when you type 'sudo iwlist scan'? Also,
you might need to install wireless-tools if that command is not
available.

> 2. Does anybody have a working xorg.conf for a powerbook g4 with ati 9700
> (rv350)?
>
> I cant enable Desktop effects on kde 4.2.2 :( If I enable effects the xserver
> freezes and so I cant even get into the console by alt-ctrl-f1. Turning the
> computer off is the only solution.

Compositing has always been a problem for me as well. I think it has to
do with the graphics chip. You might want to checkout if you chip has
compositing support. Try 'man radeon' to get a list of supported cards.
Or man 'ati'.

> Direct Rendering worked out of the box, but I dont really know how to get
> compositing to work.
>
> I also have a problem with the colours in kde. Some blue colours like the
> default K-Menu-symbol is some kind of orange :)

I had that same issue too...not sure why that is. I don't use KDE
anymore though.

> I just changed the driver to radeon in xorg.conf yet. Oh, and I set UseFBdev
> to false after having a problem with weird fonts in tty1 when i stopped gdm.
>
> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> [snip]
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "kbd"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
>         Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>         Driver          "radeon"
>         BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
>         Option          "UseFBDev"              "false"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> 3. Is it possible to scroll or right click without an external mouse on the
> touchpad?

Yes it is...install mouseemu package and edit the /etc/default/mouseemu
config file.

> Im thankful for every comment or links on this and the wireless installation.
>
> greetz
> drz

Good luck.