Re: Question about the usability of a PS3 with Linux

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, Rogério Brito wrote:
> How usable is a PS3 with Linux installed? Is it worth the effort? Does

Depends what you want to do with it. For Cell programming, it's OK.
For heavy desktop work, there's not that much RAM.

> it work well with Debian? Is there anything that's not working

Due to the bug already mentioned, you still need to use your own kernel to
install Debian with the standard installer.
However, I installed Debian using debootstrap more than 2 years ago ;-)

> currently?

Accelerated graphics.

> Any further information is quite welcome.

Make sure you get a display that has either HDMI or DVI-D _with_ HDCP.
Else you have to fall back to component, S-video, or composite.

> P.S.: As I don't play any game, I'm only interested in getting the
> "computer side" of it.

Ah, gcc is the best game ;-)

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect
Techsoft Centre

Technology and Software Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010